Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A different take on pizza...

This past weekend we decided to make pizza.  Now, given my self-imposed dietary restrictions, this is a bit harder than you think.  I am not eating any grains so a normal crust is out of the window.  When I was back home in Arkansas in June, my Aunt gave me a recipe for a zucchini pizza crust.  Those of you who know me know I LOVE, yes L-O-V-E LOVE, zucchini.  :)  So this seems like the best idea ever! 

Here is the recipe that my Aunt gave me, which I am sure came from somewhere else...if I find out I will give the appropriate credit.  :)   
**Update 7/10/12** The recipe for the pizza crust comes from Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen from the Moosewood Restaurant.  

Zucchini Pizza Crust
3 1/2 c coarsely grated zucchini (about 5 small to medium zucchinis for us)
3 eggs, beaten
1/3 c flour (we used almond flour)
1/2 c grated mozzarella (we actually used a pizza cheese mix)
1/2 c Parmesan
1 Tbs fresh basil or 1/2 tsp dried basil
salt & pepper

Grate the zucchini using the largest size hole on your grater. 


Salt the zucchini lightly & let it sit for 15 minutes.  Then squeeze out any excess moisture.  I pushed it against the edges of the strainer and then took handfuls and squeezed as much moisture from the zucchini as possible. 


Add the eggs, flour/almond flour, cheese, & basil to the zucchini.  Here I veered from the recipe a bit.  (of course!)  Since I had just made pesto and didn't save any fresh basil, I just used a tablespoon of pesto in the crust instead.  :) 


Mix all the ingredients together and add salt and pepper.  Remember you salted the zucchini a bit before. 


Spread the crust onto an oiled baking pan.  The recipe called for a 9"x13" pan but I used a jelly roll sheet instead.  I think this let the crust get a bit thinner. 


Bake for 20-25 minutes in a 350 degree F oven until the surface of the crust is dry and firm.  Then brush the top with a bit of oil and broil for 5 more minutes.  Drew and I decided we would let it brown a little more next time. 


Now you are ready to make pizza!  We made fresh pesto for half (see previous blog post) and just seasoned up a bit of canned spaghetti sauce for the other half.  I used a Hunt's No Sugar Added canned sauce and added garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and a bit of crushed red pepper. 
  

Then we had to decide on toppings.  Here is what we had in the house but next time we might add mushrooms and pepperoni.   We used cheese, white onion, sweet petite peppers, black olives & hot breakfast sausage.  The sweet petite peppers are the ones that come in a bag or carton of small red, yellow & orange peppers.  Anyway, choose your favorite toppings! 


We layered on a little Parmesan cheese and then the meat & veggies.


Next we added lots of cheese.  The pizza cheese mix had mozzarella, smoked provolone, Parmesan and Romano cheese.  We finally topped with a few more black olives. 


Finally we baked it at 350 degrees F for another 20-25 minutes until golden brown and gooey. 


We sliced the pizza up and devoured it!  It definitely is a bit of a different textured crust than a normal wheat crust but it is close enough and it fulfills the need for pizza.  This also definitely tasted like a homemade pizza.  My mom used to make homemade pizza (whole wheat crust) fairly often and it reminded me a lot of her pizza, which is a good thing!  Drew and I both liked it a lot and would only try and brown the crust just a tad more next time.  We will be making it again!  Hope you enjoy! 


1 comment:

  1. This looks so Yummy. I'm gonna try it and share it with jess

    ReplyDelete